Monday, March 09, 2009

Visa Application Timeline...

The process is not a quick one. We had to apply to the Embassy for Canada in Guatemala (they issue visas to anyone applying from Central America). They are one of the slowest Canadian Embassy visa offices in the world! Of course, it figures I had to wait 37 years to finally find my husband and now I have to wait even longer!

As you can see by the website for Application Processing times, it is a 7-16 month wait for applications being processed by the Canadian Embassy in Guatemala:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp

So, here is where we are at so far:

- November 22, 2008: Our Application was sent to the visa processing centre in Mississauga, Ontario for me to be approved as a sponsor.

- December 5, 2008: I was approved as a sponsor and Leo's application was sent to Guatemala.

- January 15, 2009: We received notice that Guatemala had received the application package (yes, it took that long for them to receive it!! It apparently is sent by a carried pouch- who knows what that means!). The letter that was sent said that we are not allowed to enquire for 6 months as to what the status of our application is. So June 15, 2009 is the first date we can ask to see where we are at! Our lawyer said we can trick them by adding information if something new comes along that we need to supply for the application.

- March 3, 2009: I received an email from our Lawyer in Costa Rica and they finally received our official marriage certificate. They will be sending it to me (Costa Rican registered mail- so I should have it in about 6 months..lol) and then I can give it to my Immigration Consultant to add to our file in Guatemala. So, this might pull our application from the bottom of the pile to the top!

No comments: